Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Building Boats, and Other Crazy Things God Asks Us to Do

"Will you invite everyone you see to come closer to Christ?" My mission President asks me.  I gulp down my fear and reply with a, "Yes, I will".  Then when I'm walking down the street and I see a person, I balk at the challenge and chose instead to keep walking.  I let my fear get the better of me and I miss out on that opportunity to share the gospel.

There is another person who was commanded to do something difficult.  He had a much better response than I did:

"Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters."  Nephi's immediate response to this statement is "Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" (1 Nephi 17:8-9)  The Lord then showed him where he needed to go and he did it.  He built a ship.  He had never before constructed anything similar, but he trusted that the Lord would show him how if he simply tried.

What is the difference between these two experiences?  In both of them a request has been made, and in both of them the person accepted the challenge.  But in only one of those experiences did the person actually fulfill the request.  Why?  What made the difference?

Faith.  Faith that was stronger than fear made up the difference.  Nephi had the firm faith that "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Nephi 3:7).  He believed that God would provide the way, and so he pushed forward to accomplish this seemingly impossible task of building a boat.

The Lord will provide a way for us to accomplish all of the things that he has asked us to do.  He will because he keeps his promises perfectly.  When we put our faith and trust in those promises, then we will see his miracles. 

Sure it's sometimes scary, confusing, and you might not understand why.  But know that in his power you will be able to do all things.  So seek for his guiding hand.  Ask him what he wants you to do with your life, and he will answer your prayer.  Be open to hearing that answer and be willing to act on it.  Have the faith that God will provide a way for us to follow through on the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

So when you feel like you need to talk to a stranger - do it.  He will give you the words you need.  When you feel impressed to read your scriptures even when it seems everything is crashing down and you don't have time - do it.  You'll be blessed for it.  When you get that unshakable feeling that you're supposed to go visit somone - just go and do it.  The Lord will not leave you comfortless.

If you do, you will see miracles in your life.  It may not be as blatantly obvious as a boat that will carry you and your family across unfamiliar waters, but it will be there if you look for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment