Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Foggy Day in Northern Virginia

It is foggy in the Northern Virginia area today.  In the night it is a dangerous hazard, but in the day it is an eerie effect.  As we drove from place to place, all but our immediate surroundings were covered with a blanket of white fog.  I would look off into the distant white to see a shapeless mass appear and solidify into what I could recognize as houses and trees.
Sometimes the fog would be so thick that we could only barely see the car in front of us, let alone the white fences that line the road.  In those times I would feel an edge of uncertain fear.  I couldn't see the world around me.  What if a deer jumped into the middle of the road at the wrong time, like they always do?  What if a car had suddenly stopped and I ran into them?  What if? 
Of course I couldn't stop driving.  The only choice there really was to keep going.  My little bubble of sight would follow me as I drove, just enough so then I could keep going without accident.  It was a little frightening, but as long as I kept going, I could keep going.
The experience reminded me of a talk given by Elder Eyring entitled “Patterns of Light”.  In it he talks about revelation being similar to a foggy day, where we don’t gain the revelation all at once, but it comes line upon line, gradually.  Just enough to take one step in front of the other and then you’re given a little bit more light to take one more step forward.
I can see potential parallels in life.  Times in life where I won’t know exactly what to do in every single moment.  Where money will be tight, relationships may be rough, and I may be wondering what new disaster lies ahead.  I hope and pray that in those moments I will remember what I have been taught and that I keep going in faith.
God will never leave us, nor forsake us.  There are times in our lives when he gives us sunny days where we can see everything clearly.  Then there are those moments when things are a little foggy and a little harder to understand.  I hope that in those moments I will keep going with the faith that God will provide a way.  Because he will.  I know he will.  Even on the foggy days when driving is a little scary.  He will provide a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment