Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mothers: God's Greatest Job Offer


When I was younger, I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of being a mother.  My thought process was, "I'll finish High School, go to College, get my degree and a good job, and get married at some point."  Family life was far from my desires, let alone my thoughts.  Education was #1 in my life.  

Then one day as I was walking along the Weber campus, I was thinking through what kind of job I wanted to go for.  At this point I knew I loved Physics and Theatre, so a job as a high school teacher seemed like the best option.  As I reviewed everything my thoughts fell along the line, "I want a job that will challenge me, one that I can constantly learn from and won't get stuck doing the same thing over and over.  One that's flexible, I'll be in different environments.  I don't care too much about the pay, I'm more interested in loving what I do.  What is something that I can continue to learn from and grow in...hmmm....?"
I spy 3 moms and 3 future moms.  Happy Mother's day!

As I was thinking I suddenly stopped in my tracks.  (Literally, I think I might have thrown off the traffic of college students a little bit.)  The perfect job hit me out of nowhere: motherhood.  Where else would I learn about every sort of subject under the sun?  Where else would it ask me to be able to do a variety of tasks day in and day out?  Motherhood takes children outside to play in the playground, at school, at home, on vacation, everywhere!  The payment isn't in monetary value, it is far greater to watch the ones you love grow in themselves.  It was the perfect fit!

What prompted me to think of this "job" that I had never honestly considered before?  It didn't come from me, I can tell you that.  It came from my Heavenly Father.  It was a prompting of the Holy Ghost.  Why?  Why would a member of the Godhead lead me to a greater desire to have the title of "mother"?  The answer is simple:

It's because families are the most important thing to Heavenly Father.  Mothers are very much the center of the family and it's been said that "Motherhood is near to divinity.  It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind.  It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels".  

Mothers are gifts from God to help us in our every day moments, and I am so grateful for mine.  She always taught me that I was a daughter of God and that He loved me.  <3  She always supported me when I struggled and cheered me on in my accomplishments.  She truly is a precious gift to my life and I hope to follow her example as I continue to grow.

Motherhood is not without its challenges though, and our Father in Heaven knows that.  He has provided prayer, scriptures, and even a woman's program called the Relief Society to specifically help mothers with their special calling.  Every mother can receive help from on high and revelation for her family.  They simply couldn't do it without it.


I invite you this Mother's day to be especially grateful for your mothers.  Whether you get the chance to see her every day, or you haven't been able to give her a hug for more than a year, show her that you love her.  Christ's final act was to make sure that His mother was well taken care of.  He knew and was appreciative of her important role in His life.  So too must we.

No comments:

Post a Comment