Wednesday, May 28, 2014

It's Better Than CHOCOLATE

So the other day my companion and I were walking through a supermarket, picking up enough food that would last us through the week.  As we were browsing the aisles, we saw a woman at one of those taste-testing booths.  Standing in the middle of the aisle with a lot of people milling around her, she looked a little uncomfortable at the position that she had been given within the store.

Do you know what she was offering?  CHOCOLATE.  Little free squares of delicious, wonderful CHOCOLATE.  Yet, no one was taking her offer of FREE chocolate.  Even as my companion and I walked past her booth she asked, "Would you like some chocolate?" And I passed down her offer and kept walking.

This seemed to be a common reaction from most of the people there, they'd glance at her and keep walking, only the occasional person would reach out to receive the gift.

Upon reflecting on this moment, I had to face palm myself.  She was offering FREE CHOCOLATE and I just walked by her without even pausing to taste it!  What was I thinking?  What was everyone else thinking?  I mean, hello we're talking about CHOCOLATE here people!  The brown stuff that is full of sugary goodness that people go crazy over!  You eat it in parties, give it away at Halloween, and mold it into funny shapes at Easter, it's the wonderful, desirable, indescribable CHOCOLATE...and yet we all just walked by it as if it was a normal day occurrence that we didn't want or need.

So why did all these crazy people pass up this opportunity to put a smile on our face and get a little bit fatter?  Obviously it wasn't the chocolate...my guess is that it was the woman manning the booth.  She wasn't comfortable or confident in her desire to give out the chocolate.  Perhaps this was her first day on the job, or perhaps she was thinking about other things, in any case I don't think the people there felt like taking it from her.  She wasn't excited, energized or enthused to do it.

Now, I'm not saying she should have been bouncing around like the energizer bunny, but perhaps a more confident smile would've helped others feel comfortable with taking the tasty treat.

Flash forward a couple of hours to two Sister missionaries walking down the street.  Up comes a person walking on the opposite side of the street.  "Hello, I'm Sister Butts.  Could we share a message with you about Jesus Christ?"  Come the words out of my mouth like I've done many times before.  The person looks at the name tag and responds a little uncomfortably, "no thank you, I'm good." and keeps walking.

Does this experience remind you of anything?

I was doing exactly what the woman in the store was doing.  I felt uncomfortable talking with people, I wasn't sure if anyone would want to hear what I had to say, I wasn't sure in myself and the person walked right on by, missing out on the opportunity to partake of the greatest gift given to man.

What is this "great gift"?   It's the knowledge of the gospel.  The way we can be cleansed from sin and guilt.  A way we can progress and become better every day.  A way to feel comfort in our deepest distress.  A way to find knowledge and guidance in this world of turmoil and trouble.  Direction.  Peace.  Power.  Ultimately, this gift is one of eternal happiness.

This gift comes from Jesus Christ and the sacrifice He made for us.  We can receive this gift as we believe in Him, repent of the things we have done wrong, make sacred covenants (or promises) with Him, listen to the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost, and refuse to give up when it gets tough.  Our part is so small when it is compared to the sacrifice He has made.

This gift is so much better than chocolate.  It's non-fattening, it's longer lasting, you don't have to spend money to receive it, and it improves your very character.  Why then, why did that person pass us up from the wonderful opportunity to improve their life?

Likely it's because she had no idea that is what we were offering.  Why?  Because I was too scared to tell her more.  I needed to be more excited about the message that we share, the knowledge that we have.  I needed to be more bold, and more loving as I reach out to others.  I am going to learn from this experience.  I am going to share my testimony more and offer the gift of the Gospel with more zeal.

Why?  Because it's the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  He has offered it to me and I have felt the change in my own life.  I have felt the power, the comfort, and the direction that comes from it.  Who am I to withhold it from others?  If you have any questions, or if you know someone who is struggling with something difficult in their life, will you point them my way?  I'd love to give them a "free sample" of the gift our Savior has given me. :)









1 comment:

  1. A priesthood session address from president uchtdorf comes to mind. Do we fully understand the privilege of sharing the gospel? D&C 18:15 "how great shall be your joy.." sharing the gospel is not simply a requirement of membership or missionary service. Sharing the gospel is a privilege by which we bring great joy to ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete