Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Where Can I Turn for Peace?

"Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?"

Sometimes, when I pray, these words come into my mind.  They come from the hymn "Where Can I Turn For Peace", and they mean so much to me.  They really describe the ache I feel in perfect words.  The desire to find peace, the realization that I can't find it on my own.  The drawing back away from others...it's a feeling I am well acquainted with.

"Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?"

Luckily, my prayer never ends there.  Immediately after my plea for help, the next verse in the song comes to my mind:

"He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end."

With the words comes a feeling: a peace.  As I sing the song in my heart, I find reassurance that my ache is known, and that it can be healed.  I don't see a light, I don't hear a voice.  It's the quiet feeling that is found in my heart.  I know that Christ is my friend, my brother, and that he is right next to me cheering me on as I listen.  He never falters, he never fails.  His love is endless.

I know that he is your brother as well, and that he knows exactly what you're going though.  He wants to help because he loves you and he believes in you.  It takes a little faith to put your trust in someone you can't see, but when you do, that tiny seed of faith will grow into a great strength that will last you through every trial, every heartache, every moment for the rest of your life.  

Don't wait.  Go to Him today and partake of the peace and joy that he is offering to you.  :)  I promise that you will find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment