Saturday, April 12, 2014

Sisters to the Rescue!

Growing up, I was never too involved with missionaries.  Occasionally I saw them walking on the street and we'd honk the horn and wave at the Elders in suits.  I didn't think too much about what they did or how they could help me.  They were there and I was here and the two worlds never really touched.

That changed one snowy day in Utah.

I was driving up to work in Ogden and the snow was just dumping down in the Utah way.  Traffic was slow and everyone was slipping on the roads, but I was able to drive safely until I got to the neighborhood of my destination.  Here the roads weren't clear of the ever-deepening snow, and the house I was trying to reach was higher up on the mountain.  I knew that there were steep roads ahead of me, but what other option did I have but to go forward?  I had to get to work.

My little Hyundai Elantra managed fine until I was about two blocks away from my destination.  I was on a steep road and it slid down to a stop on the opposite side of the road.  What was I going to do?  I couldn't reverse and try again, I didn't think I'd be able to hold the traction, but my wheels were spinning out without any success.  I would've parked it right there and just walked, but my car was completely blocking the road.  What could I do?

As I picked up my phone to ask my Dad for help, I saw to figures come running towards me out of the corner of my eye.  I rolled down my window as they came up and to my surprise I saw that they were Sister missionaries!

"Would you like some help?"  One asked.

"I'm stuck, I'm not sure how to get out," I replied, phone still in hand.

"We can help push," she replied and the sisters went to the back of the car. 

In disbelief I wiggled the steering wheel, pushed on the gas and the sisters behind me pushed.  In just a few moments my car was freed and I was able to crest the top of the hill.  "Thank you!" I shouted to the Sisters and continued to drive to my job.  The Sisters waved back and returned to their home.

I've never forgotten that act of service.  It came at the right time of my distress and was the exact help I needed.  Not to mention, it was unexpected.  I never would have guessed that Sister missionaries lived on that street.

Now, it's my turn to wear the black badge with Christ's name on it.  As I do, I think back to those first Sister missionaries I met.  They were doing more than just helping a stranger in need, they were following the example of Christ by giving service.  They were fulfilling those covenants they made at baptism. 

When we are baptized, we make a promise that we will "bear one another's burdens" and "comfort those that stand in need of comfort".  Giving selfless service is a part of this.  Not just service when it's convenient or when you feel like it, but giving it when it is needed.  The Sisters could easily have said, "It's cold, it's wet, and it looks like she's calling someone for help.  We have other things we need to plan and do, we don't need to go outside to help her.  She would never know." and forgotten about it.  Instead, they didn't just walk out of the house to help, they ran to help.

I have learned from their example that this is how I need to respond to opportunities to give service.  To be on-demand for service opportunities, regardless of how "busy" I am or how I feel.  As a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I have made a promise with my Heavenly Father that I will reach out and serve his children - my brothers and sisters. 

That means you.  :)

Know that right here, right now, Sister McBride and I are here for you.  Whether you have a gospel question or you'd just like someone to clean your bathroom, we are here to help.  Our number one priority is to do as the Savior would do if he were here.  We love you and we want to help in anyway we can.  Give us a call, send us a message, or catch us when you see us.  Let us know what we can do to help. 

You are a precious child of God and He is there for you.  So are we.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment