Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pocket Change on the Carpet

I love change.

Change is a good thing.

You can keep it in your pocket and it makes a nice jangle whenever you walk.

You count yourself lucky when you stumble across an extra penny - or better yet a quarter.

Change is nice.  Change is good.  I love it.

I also happen to love sarcasm, in case you can't tell.

A little while ago I found a penny.  A penny from 1955.  Old and worn it sat on the carpet like any old forgotten penny would.  As I looked at it, I thought about all of the changes that have happened between 1955 and now.  A lot has happened, and I barely know a hundredth of it.  This penny has been through it all.

I wondered about how many different people have held this penny.  How many things has it been used to pay for?  What states has it traveled?  If this penny had ears to hear and a mouth to speak, what would it say?  What conversations would it have overheard?  What kind of conditions has it been through?  How much would this little bit of change teach me from over the years?

It's a nice thought.

Then my mind turned to the present.  A lot of change has happened in the past year.  I'm sure I don't even understand the thousandth part of it.  More change looms in the future.  And quite honestly, I don't like it.  I'm scared.  I'm frustrated.  And I'm a little bit angry.  Things are good as they are, so why change it? 

The answer comes as I soften my heart (and my pride) until I am open to receive the answer: because it takes change to make good things better.  It takes change to make better things become best.  I am not at the end of my progression.  There is still more I need to learn and do.  I'm not done yet.  God is in control of the changes that come my way, and they are changes that will be beneficial.

A little bit of change can go a long way.  I love quarters.  They make me smile.

Change is in the air, and with it comes the promise of a better tomorrow.  If I will simply face it, accept it, live it, and love it like a 1955 penny on the carpet, then it will help me grow.

Hold your breath.

Because here it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment