Thursday, December 26, 2013

Students and Teachers

Three students were struggling with a question in their classroom.  They all had their study guides out and were trying to find the solution.  The first student suddenly slammed the book closed.


"I can't do it!"  He yelled out in frustration.  "There is NO answer to this question!" And left the room in a huff.

The two other students looked at each other and the dramatic display, then continued with their studies.  A little time passed and the second student shook his head and said, "This isn't making sense.  I keep trying to find the answer, but things aren't fitting." He calmly closed the book and said, "I'm going to see if I can find a different answer out there."  And he too left the room.

The third student was left to himself.  He thought about the other reactions.  It was a hard question...what was he going to do about it?  With a little hesitation, he picked up his book and got out of his chair.  But he didn't go to the door.

"Excuse me," he said to the teacher in the back of the room.  "I'm not sure I understand this question, could you help me find the answer?"

"But of course," the teacher replied.  "I'd be happy to."


There is another student in history who had a question he was struggling with.  Except he was no scholar.  Just a simple farm boy named Joseph Smith.  At 14 years old, he wanted to know which church was God's true church.  He wanted to know truth.  He studied the bible, he went to many different churches looking for the answer to his question.  Yet no one could satisfy him.

So what did he do?  What could he do?  He went to a grove of trees, knelt down, and humbly asked The Teacher for help to find the answer.  In response, God and Jesus Christ appeared to him.  They told him the answer to his question: that none of the churches were true at that time.  They explained to him him many more things that he needed to know to help answer his question more thoroughly.

God and Jesus Christ did appear to him.  They did speak to him, just like you and I have spoken.  Face to face.  I know that they did answer his question.  Through Joseph Smith, Christ's church has again been established on the earth.  The truth is here.  All you need to do is ask, and be willing to hear the answer.  God is there for you!  I know he is.  I know that he wants to help you find the truth.  His truth.

If you are willing to ask and to listen, you'll find the answers.  We are the students.  God is the mighty teacher.  "Ask, and you shall receive."

No comments:

Post a Comment